Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires
What Kind of Litter Material Do You Use?
Previous | Next |
Page: of 5
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 02 2011
12:49:10 AM
Kozi Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Kozi's Photo Album Kozi's Journal WI, USA 1278 Posts
Carefresh!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 02 2011
10:45:03 AM
torilynn Face Hugger Visit torilynn's Photo Album 789 Posts
I use puppy pads
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 18 2011
09:50:22 PM
narwhaal Joey Visit narwhaal's Photo Album USA 46 Posts
carefresh.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 23 2011
10:18:27 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by smushandrocky

quote:
Originally posted by maple

NEVER USE PINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT CAN EVENTUALLY KILL YOUR GLIDERS!!!

This is perhaps true if you went out and cut down a pine tree, shredded it, and used it for litter. However, the amount of resin in just about all store bought pine shavings is negligible and not in the least bit harmful to gliders.

Do you have source that can show that pine shavings are not harmful to gliders in any way?
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 23 2011
10:25:58 AM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
It's not just the "scent" of the wood that is dangerous. There is also small particles the gliders can inhale. Or they can reach down to the cage pan and eat some of it which could result in intestinal blockage.

Default, miscellaneous
Feb 23 2011
04:08:16 PM
shadow Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit shadow's Photo Album MO, USA 2332 Posts
>.< rita has had gliders/been a member of this forum for a long time i think she knows what she is talking about and knows about that info you gave. just because they eat something they are not supposed to doesnt just mean they are missing something in their diet. they are being curious,foraging, and are like children who want something they cant have. the quote from rita's post says "There is also small particles the gliders can inhale." even if you say its not true there are tons of people in the glider community who say its bad, so i just avoid using it there are plenty of other things to use on the bottom of the cage and avoid the one that can harm them. i just avoid the whole thing by using nothing on the bottom of the cage. using a glider kitchen also cuts down on the mess.
that link went to a page with to many words to read and for some reason my eyes did not like that page lol XD not enough sleep i guess. unless the study was done on gliders im going to partly ignore it since its always better to be safe then sorry.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 23 2011
05:54:56 PM
Cora1 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Cora1's Photo Album TX, USA 935 Posts
yesterdays news
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 23 2011
06:15:54 PM
greglammes Joey Visit greglammes's Photo Album 22 Posts
I use news print and change it daily as I get the paper every day lol...my cage has wire mesh on the bottom with a plastic pullout tray beneath that so they can't get to the paper
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 23 2011
08:24:50 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
We use old newspaper to line the bottom of the pan.
Health related
Mar 27 2011
06:31:37 AM
gliderma Starting Member GliderMap Visit gliderma's Photo Album MI, USA 8 Posts
Personally, I do not believe that any of the following are totally safe:
cat litter
corn cob
newspaper
wood shavings
I use paper towel on the bottom tray, under the grate in all of my cages and just change it out every few days as needed. Some are messier than others! lol In my rept, I was putting fleece on the floor inside, but the crew kept snuggling under it so now it is on the outside and readily changed as needed. Remnant pieces work well for this.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 27 2011
11:55:09 AM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
Air Force Times newspaper. They can read while they do their business.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 27 2011
12:54:30 PM
giraffelady Glider Visit giraffelady's Photo Album LA, USA 175 Posts
usually newspaper..but just switched to puppy pads, I find they don't smell.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 27 2011
04:18:36 PM
Skeeter Face Hugger Visit Skeeter's Photo Album Florida 425 Posts
I use a tray liner that i bought from a glider vendor-- love them
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 28 2011
08:07:01 PM
Ghosty Starting Member 0 Posts
I don't use anything. I clean it often and there's very little smell.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 28 2011
08:26:41 PM
Faerie Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Faerie's Photo Album 1833 Posts
I don't use anything either. I just pull the tray out and wipe it out. And every couple weeks I clean it with water and vinegar.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 02 2011
12:55:48 PM
Nyerky Face Hugger 661 Posts
I use Jana's Custom Cage Liners. =)
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 07 2011
03:58:39 AM
eshaw Glider 59 Posts
Newspaper.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 08 2011
01:00:24 PM
fr3butterfly Starting Member 5 Posts
Is kitty litter bad? If so why? It sounds like a good idea to me. Clumps wet to scoop and sift droppings, and it has odoe control. After reading this post I am considering kitty litter so if it is bad tell me I have done some research and cant find anything neg about it.
Default, miscellaneous
May 19 2011
11:09:38 PM
YoungGun Face Hugger GliderMap Visit YoungGun's Photo Album LA, USA 526 Posts
Carefresh(natural)... It's awesome and safe
Default, miscellaneous
May 24 2011
05:51:48 PM
angelmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit angelmom's Photo Album USA 2002 Posts
The dust from kitty litter is bad for their respiratory systems isnt it?
Default, miscellaneous
May 24 2011
05:56:55 PM
Lady Tiko Face Hugger Visit Lady Tiko's Photo Album USA 435 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by angelmom

The dust from kitty litter is bad for their respiratory systems isnt it?

I'm certain that I read somewhere that dust from kitty litter and wood shavings can cause respiratory issues for gliders as they will inhale the dust.

Default, miscellaneous
Jul 26 2011
11:16:31 PM
SugarCookie Glider Visit SugarCookie's Photo Album MD, USA 133 Posts
My gliders don't like to chew much at all so I use newsprint, but if your gliders like to chew a lot It probably isn't a good idea!
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 26 2011
11:38:00 PM
hypnotist321 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit hypnotist321's Photo Album hypnotist321's Journal 1742 Posts
I was using the puppy pads and small critter absorbent pads. It was fantastic - till Spike took on a personalty change and decided to start chewing :-(
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 02 2011
04:41:31 PM
Manami Joey FL, USA 21 Posts
I use the desert blend by Zilla, ground English walnut shells. It's used for desert creatures, but just as well for suggies. It contains odor and clumps just as well as kitty litter. Besides, one of my suggies LOVES reaching down into the tray and shifting the sand. For some reason it really entertains her.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 03 2011
04:55:01 PM
suggielover74 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit suggielover74's Photo Album USA 933 Posts
It would not let me vote for some reason but my answer would have been other, I use nothing and just wash and rinse the trays everyday.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 04 2011
01:05:53 PM
Farns Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Farns's Photo Album USA 842 Posts
We use Aspen pellets, they are very absorbent and do not smell like pine or cedar so no aromatic problems. I refuse to buy newspsapers as they are just trash and no news and too biased so they are out and I want something to absorb the pee and drips from water bottles.

Edited by - Farns on Aug 04 2011 01:08:03 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 21 2011
07:21:01 PM
Rachaels gliders Joey 17 Posts
I use a paper towel...when they wake up I just set them on it to go potty. I'm trying to get them in a habit of going on the towel themselves
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 21 2011
07:28:29 PM
jkr2116 Glider Visit jkr2116's Photo Album USA 185 Posts
I use white paper towels and change them out every other day. =)
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 18 2011
01:25:08 AM
AvasMommy Glider Visit AvasMommy's Photo Album 140 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by SariYappa

I use Jana's Custom Cage Liners, and LOVE them!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my cage liners. I have 12 liners in total and will forever use them.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 18 2011
02:22:50 AM
J_lamb Joey 22 Posts
Puppy Pads !!! They are the Best!
Previous | Next |
Page: of 5

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires