Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Freeze Dried Fruit
Freeze Dried Fruit
Food, Diet
Apr 16 2010
03:51:36 PM
So I was at the grocery store not too long ago in the baby food aisle. As I was looking I noticed Gerber Mini Fruits, they are freeze dried fruit snacks, nothing added or taken away from the nutritional value. Does anyone know if it would be ok to give that kind of thing to gliders as a treat?
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 16 2010
03:53:12 PM
slave4suggies Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit slave4suggies's Photo Album USA 1101 Posts
I don't know, but I also wondered the same thing.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 16 2010
07:39:12 PM
Megs06 BANNED_ACCOUNT Gliderpedia Editor Visit Megs06's Photo Album USA 1 Posts
I've used a food dehydrator and they liked it a lot.
Food, Diet
Apr 17 2010
06:45:45 PM
PsychoSmart Joey 21 Posts
I had wondered this myself, but not exactly baby food. I like survivalist foods and saw this video about Saratoga Farms freeze dried apples.

www.youtube.com/user/cutlerylover#p/search/0/FhUB5kka1Co

www.thereadystore.com/saratoga-farms-diced-apples-10-can

Opened they have a 6-12 month shelf life, and note that on the nutritional facts the only thing in this is apples. $17.50 for a huge can. Especially if you have multiple gliders.
Food, Diet
Apr 17 2010
07:16:42 PM
WintersSong Fuzzy Wuzzy 1417 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Paislee

So I was at the grocery store not too long ago in the baby food aisle. As I was looking I noticed Gerber Mini Fruits, they are freeze dried fruit snacks, nothing added or taken away from the nutritional value. Does anyone know if it would be ok to give that kind of thing to gliders as a treat?

I've used the strawberry and banana kind in the past. My gliders didn't care for them though.

Freeze dried fruit is fine though as a treat, just should not replace fresh (or frozen) fruits on a regular basis.

Edited by - WintersSong on Apr 17 2010 07:17:42 PM
Food, Diet
Apr 18 2010
03:30:59 AM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Fresh or frozen is always best for our little furbabies. Remember, they are sap suckers in the wild and they get a lot of their water thru fruits and veggies.. Knowing this, why would anyone want to give them freeze dried or any kind of dried fruits and veggies?
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2010
04:16:09 PM
Megs06 BANNED_ACCOUNT Gliderpedia Editor Visit Megs06's Photo Album USA 1 Posts
As I stated earlier, I used a food dehydrator on papaya and the girls love it. I think it has more to do with their desire to chew more than flavor. I did it because I didn't want the papaya to go bad, but didn't have room in the freezer.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 18 2010
06:38:56 PM
Paislee Glider GliderMap Visit Paislee's Photo Album NL, CA 131 Posts
I know that fresh/frozen fruit is the best for my gliders and that's what I feed them...I was just curious about freeze dried fruit that's all. From what I understand there is dehydrated fruit readily available for gliders as treats, so why not freeze dried if they like it for a treat.
Food, Diet
Apr 18 2010
06:47:07 PM
Nicole87 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Nicole87's Photo Album MD, USA 650 Posts
I bought the freeze dried apple bites from Gerber....all 5 of mine hated them.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 20 2010
12:48:35 PM
umfan92 Glider GliderMap Visit umfan92's Photo Album FL, USA 148 Posts
Along those same lines, how do you guys recommend that I feed the gliders fruit? I've heard that freezing it is better. I guess it also lasts longer. What do you guys do? Do you buy a bunch of fruit and freeze it? Or do you prefer fresh? Thanks.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 20 2010
12:59:58 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I buy a bowl of cut up melon (watermelon, cantalope & honey dew) and a bowl of mixed berries at Publix each week. That gives me enough for my glider kids to have a different fruit each night for roughly 6 nights. I add some frozen fruits to that - Mango (purchased in frozen cubes) and Papaya (I cut that up myself and freeze)

Cantalope and honeydew melons freeze well, watermelon does not.

I also keep frozen blueberries and blackberries on hand for nights I do not have another fresh variety on hand.

I prefer to use fresh fruits but frozen is also fine with my gliders.
Food, Diet
Apr 20 2010
07:19:20 PM
glider grandma Joey GliderMap NJ, USA 45 Posts
I have a dehydrater that I use to dry any access fruit left over from a recipe. It can be frozen after its dried. I use it in the daytime warm weather when fresh would get soggy. I also hide it in places (inside toys) I couldn't put fresh. I think they really like holding and running off with it. Some time I wrap pieces in tissue paper and they rip it apart. Keeps them busy for a while. I only do that when I intent to clean the cage the next day!!!
Freeze Dried Fruit

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Freeze Dried Fruit