Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
is it normal?
is it normal?
Question
Apr 01 2011
12:07:47 AM
Is it normal for some gliders to have deformed feet? I have seen some with deformed ears from birth. I was just wondering today while driving and my Joey her back feet her toes are together instead of separate? You can tell she has all her toes. The breeder I bought her from said she was like like when she was born. I was just curious if anyone has hear or seen this.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 01 2011
12:09:59 AM
misscarl Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit misscarl's Photo Album USA 1169 Posts
hmmm i have never seen it but im sure it is possible. i cant imagine how else her feet would get that way besides a birth defect. i wonder if it could be from inbreeding or something?
Question
Apr 01 2011
12:10:16 AM
peppy Face Hugger GliderMap Visit peppy's Photo Album 481 Posts
I would say not.. thats not normal.. that sounds like it was inbred.

Edited by - peppy on Apr 01 2011 12:11:21 AM
Question
Apr 01 2011
12:18:08 AM
inlovewithtak Super Glider Visit inlovewithtak's Photo Album inlovewithtak's Journal NC, USA 235 Posts
That makes me really sad :( If thats the case i won't ever go there again. That won't affect her with a cage mate will it? Another glider won't hurt her because of it will they???
Question
Apr 01 2011
12:21:54 AM
TheHomermomma Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit TheHomermomma's Photo Album 1332 Posts

T His is a normal glider back foot. 2 fingers are fused to be used as a comb and the "thumb" faces the other way.
Question
Apr 01 2011
12:27:33 AM
inlovewithtak Super Glider Visit inlovewithtak's Photo Album inlovewithtak's Journal NC, USA 235 Posts
Okay......that breeder is horrible...Gah.. ok on one foot she has all toes and looks just like that so that foot is good....but the other just has the comb and the thumb.....what could have happened to the other two toes birth defect???? her tail is also shorter than most....
Question
Apr 01 2011
12:42:42 AM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
I think gliders have the cutest little back feet. They look like monkey hands.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 01 2011
02:08:35 AM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
Sometimes the mommas or daddys might groom too hard when the babies are still IP. Especially first time parents. They might nip off the tip of a tail. It isn't common - but it does happen. I'm sure the toes could be, too.

It also could be inbreeding?

Her cage mate won't hurt her because of it. You aren't breeding her, right?
Question
Apr 01 2011
08:41:15 AM
SugarLoafin Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit SugarLoafin's Photo Album CO, USA 1755 Posts
I don't think it means she was definitely inbred. Of course that is a possibility. My son was born with a cleft lip and palate but he isn't inbred. Birth Defects happen!
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 01 2011
09:27:49 AM
filly47 Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit filly47's Photo Album USA 2330 Posts
Are the back feet the ones with a fused toe? It is normal if it is the two toes by the clawless toe (thumb) on the back. This is called a grooming comb and almost all (if not all) marsupials have this. Hommermomma posted a great picture, and all gliders have that.
Question
Apr 01 2011
10:31:58 AM
No I do not plan to breed her. I don't want to do any breeding until I am experienced enough and Everything. She is my first Joey. I just want her to be safe. Her left foot is fine, it looks exactly like the one in the picture. However her left foot is missing two toes. She has the thumb and the fused two that are used as a comb, but the other two are completely gone.
Question
Apr 01 2011
10:40:03 AM
SugarLoafin Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit SugarLoafin's Photo Album CO, USA 1755 Posts
Just love her up and her unique foot! I am sure she will manage just fine! She doesn't know any different!
Question
Apr 01 2011
10:45:37 AM
Well I definately love her up Last night during our bonding time she let me pet her for an hour. She loves to be petted under the chin. She would lay her head back and go limb haa haa
Question
Jan 28 2012
09:22:28 AM
danigirl Joey GliderMap danigirl's Journal USA 19 Posts
Mine have that too!
is it normal?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
is it normal?