Anyone Have this exercise wheel?
Question
Jun 30 2012
05:23:38 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 30 2012
06:09:22 PM
prettyinpink5808 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit prettyinpink5808's Photo Album 1223 Posts
I don't have that wheel personally. Its not the safest wheel available but its not the most dangerous. Id suggest getting a suggie recommended wheel such as the Stealth, Custom Cruiser, or Fast-track wheel. I don't have the links on hand but im sure you can google them, or someone else will come along with the proper links. Now, if you want to get that wheel in the meantime, like before your recommended wheel arrives then go for it. But that is not a wheel you should have long term
Question
Jun 30 2012
06:52:34 PM
Lisa10e Super Glider Visit Lisa10e's Photo Album 213 Posts
I have the Wodent wheel but it holds the smell so bad when she goes potty on it. And its a pain in the butt to clean. I was looking at that wheel too.

Prettyinpink, what makes it unsafe if you dont mind me asking?
Question
Jun 30 2012
07:39:16 PM
petluv15 Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit petluv15's Photo Album petluv15's Journal 1500 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa10e

I have the Wodent wheel but it holds the smell so bad when she goes potty on it. And its a pain in the butt to clean. I was looking at that wheel too.

The silent spinner will stink just as much, if not more than, the wodent wheel. The bearing on it really isn't safe for gliders I don't think - gliders have been injured on it before.

If you are looking for a lower cost wheel - try the Economy Raptor wheel by David. They're $25 and should last you a long time. They have a mesh track so they don't end up running in their own waste.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 30 2012
07:39:25 PM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
For one thing, it is LOUD.

Also, it tips over. There was an incident where it fell over on two gliders who had been running in it. They were trapped under it for the rest of the night, and ended up dying.

I use that wheel for my hedgehogs, and they love it.
Question
Jun 30 2012
08:00:17 PM
Lisa10e Super Glider Visit Lisa10e's Photo Album 213 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by petluv15

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa10e

The silent spinner will stink just as much, if not more than, the wodent wheel. The bearing on it really isn't safe for gliders I don't think - gliders have been injured on it before.

If you are looking for a lower cost wheel - try the Economy Raptor wheel by David. They're $25 and should last you a long time. They have a mesh track so they don't end up running in their own waste.

Thanks, I will look into that one
Question
Jun 30 2012
08:25:28 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Look at the photos of this one below. Dont get it if you value your glider tails and limbs.

http://www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?SilentSpinner
Question
Jun 30 2012
08:25:50 PM
Amandameko Glider 62 Posts
My friend uses this wheel and as no problems. I was planning on buying this one for my cage as well...
Question
Jun 30 2012
08:28:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Kazko

Look at the photos of this one below. Dont get it if you value your glider tails and limbs.

http://www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?SilentSpinner

You can take the whole thing apart. And clip in right to the cage. It doesn't need the feet to it
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 30 2012
08:31:18 PM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
I had it clipped when it fell and injured one of my animals.

It is an unsafe wheel for gliders- due to the unique way that sugar gliders use their wheels. They don't run like mice or gerbils or hedgehogs, or any other wheel-using animal.

Please, listen to the voice of experience. Your gliders cannot afford for you to make all the mistakes yourself - a glider owner needs to be able to learn from the mistakes of others - because some mistakes equal death.
Question
Jun 30 2012
08:39:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by valkyriemome

I had it clipped when it fell and injured one of my animals.

It is an unsafe wheel for gliders- due to the unique way that sugar gliders use their wheels. They don't run like mice or gerbils or hedgehogs, or any other wheel-using animal.

Please, listen to the voice of experience. Your gliders cannot afford for you to make all the mistakes yourself - a glider owner needs to be able to learn from the mistakes of others - because some mistakes equal death.

Wow I had no idea!! Do you know where I can get a cheap glider safe wheel by tuesday?
Question
Jun 30 2012
08:47:24 PM
viciousencounters Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit viciousencounters's Photo Album viciousencounters's Journal NM, USA 2907 Posts
Unfortunately gliders need wheels made for them, they are a little more expensive but in the long run cheaper. Hamster and rat type wheels injury glider's feet and tails. Those wheels often fall on them also.

An Eco Raptor is the safest and cheapest glider designed wheel right now, here is the link for it below:

http://mygliderwheelsandmore.com/
Question
Jun 30 2012
11:41:18 PM
Dichroic Joey Visit Dichroic's Photo Album 39 Posts
It would be better for your glider to go without a wheel for a few weeks waiting for a wheel made for gliders than to put a dangerous wheel in the cage for any amount of time.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 01 2012
06:48:45 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I have a Fast Track, just got it and I love it!! (Too soon to tell if the girls are used to it, first night was last night & you really can't hear the wheel). I will be ordering a 2nd wheel some day for their "vacation" habitat, right now they still have their old one, but when I do get another new one I will most likely go with the Eco Raptor or their travel size. I really like both companies I've corresponded with both companies in e-mails & I understand they do great quality work on their products.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 01 2012
01:10:04 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
The biggest danger are the double rollers that stabilize the wheel while it is motion.

I frequently have gliders the go behind the side mounted stealth wheels in my cages.

A glider going behind the Silent Spinner wheel while another glider is running runs a risk of having fur from its tail or even the whole tail, its fingers or toes caught by these exposed wheels which could result in a severe injury.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders