Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What cage do you have?
What cage do you have?
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 21 2012
05:48:06 PM
I am looking to get a pair of gliders. I have a dresser that is 18"x30" exactly and there is a shade over 4' of vertical space for a cage. The spot on top of the dresser is perfect in every way for sugar gliders; a fair amount of indirect natural light during the day, temps between 70F and 75F, and it is the most convenient place for me. There is a lot of talk about gliders being sensitive to zinc and all that jazz. I am interested in what you guys have and how long your gliders have been living in it? Were did you get your cage? Do you have any advise for me before I commit to a cage? What do you recommend?

Thanks,
Ed

Default, miscellaneous
Jul 21 2012
06:09:34 PM
crazed_girl Face Hugger Visit crazed_girl's Photo Album USA 418 Posts
The bigger the better. For two gliders the minimum size cage you should look about 32" x 20" x 36". Most cages that fit on dressers, from what I have seen, do not meet these standards. It may be convenient for you but you will want what is best for the gliders. What is in their best interests. The cage bars should be at most 1/2 inch wide. Any wider than that and the glider could, and probably will, escape through the bars. Powder coated cages are best. You will want doors on the cage that are large enough to get a safe sugar glider approved wheel in. I.E the Stealth Wheel, Custom Cruiser, or Raptor wheel. Someone else may be able to give you some more information.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 21 2012
06:26:18 PM
edkern Joey UT, USA 47 Posts
So what cage do you have, and how long have your gliders been living in it?
Information
Jul 21 2012
06:32:15 PM
I have two cages at the moment. I do no have any current pictures so here they are off ebay.

This one was my first and I no longer own this cage. I sold it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bird-Parrot-Cage-Cockatiel-Conure-Large-32-x20-x53-/260493664361?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ca6a1e069

My second

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-3-Level-Ferret-Chinchilla-Sugar-Glider-Cage-0487-/230826694629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35be57d7e5

My third

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-X-3-Level-WROUGHT-IRON-Ferret-Chinchilla-Sugar-Glider-Cage-3997-Black-Vein-/280907381285?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4167627a25

My gliders live in the third cage. When I get my two girls they will be going in the second cage during quarantine. I still do not think my third cage is big enough so in time I will be getting another one and joining the two together like so many on here do.

Edited by - crazed_girl on Jul 21 2012 06:36:30 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 21 2012
06:53:08 PM
Thank you, that was right along the lines of what I am looking for. Have any of these cages shown any signs of rust?
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 21 2012
06:57:44 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
The SunCoast sturdy cage would come close to fitting on your dresser it is 32 wide, 21 deep and 36 high. You might need to cut a base for the cage to balance it well on your dresser though. It has 1/2 inch bar spacing, large doors and a removable bottom grate and cage pan.

You may want to find another location for which ever cage you choose and use the stand rather than putting it on your dresser.

Your gliders will drop their mess (pooh & bits of food) behind and around your dresser and it would be difficult to clean without moving the dresser.

Default, miscellaneous
Jul 21 2012
06:58:51 PM
The first cage and the third. However the third cage I acquired with two of my boys so I do not know how old it actually is. I want to say it is about 4 years old seeing as that is the age of my oldest but I'm not entirely sure. The rust is along the bottom, not where the gliders touch. Especially along the base.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 21 2012
07:59:59 PM
ResaJane Face Hugger Visit ResaJane's Photo Album 411 Posts
When I put my one cage on my dresser bc the stand was wobbly I got a piece of sturdy plywood board cut a little bigger than the surface area of the cage. The board went between the bottom of he cage and top of he dresser and it was perfect!

Resa
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 22 2012
02:11:04 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm looking to make sure that I do things right. The "Large 3 level cage" seems to be the ideal.

www.ebay.com/itm/Large-3-Level-Ferret-Chinchilla-Sugar-Glider-Cage-0487-/230826694629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35be57d7e5#ht_2323wt_1396

Though I am very much open to additional thoughts and suggestions.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 22 2012
02:58:01 AM
Skyfire Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Skyfire's Photo Album AZ, USA 456 Posts
Personaly I recomend the pvc cages. I just built the one on this site justforfuzzies.com/Other_Stuff/Cage/index.html and My babies love it. I currently have 4 gliders in that one. Its light weight, sturdy and easy to clean. I also have one that came with one set of my rescues. www.qualitydiscountcages.com/a-&-e-100c-1-open-aviary-hexagon-flight-cage.html
Mine is a diffrent color though. The doors on mine are to small to get the gliders wheels in and out. You have to undo the top and take it in and out that way.
Pictures
Jul 22 2012
09:48:39 AM
ILoveLucy Glider Visit ILoveLucy's Photo Album MD, USA 146 Posts
I have the A&E corner aviary - LG. The dimensions are 52" L x 42" W - 74" H. 1/2 inch bar spacing, powder coated finish. VERY BIG!!!! I paid around $350.00, and it was worth every penny!! I love the cage, and more importantly, my babies LOVE the cage. I have 3 gliders in this cage and they actually have room to glide. My two older girls were rescues, and of course they came from pocket pets!! When they came to me, they were fully grown, and still living in the "starter" cage. I felt so bad that they had been living in such a confined space, that I set out to find the biggest cage I could for them. I will say this though - when the cage arrived there were no instructions for assembly. Luckily my husband is mechanically inclined - but it was still pretty hectic to say the least!! Also, with the cage being so big, it is impossible to get out a normal sized door for cleaning. Luckily, I have french doors leading out to my back yard. I take it outback once a month for a top to bottom scrub.
Seeing how happy my girls were the first night they moved into their new home made it all worth it. I say...the bigger the BETTER!!

Default, miscellaneous
Jul 22 2012
10:11:28 AM
Kruegon Glider Visit Kruegon's Photo Album USA 182 Posts
I have the Brisbane cage. Two of them in fact. Super sturdy. Not too hard to take apart when it's cleaming time. Very spacious. My babies seem to love it and 2 of them have been living in it for at least 4 years. The other one has been in it for almost a year. But he came from a parakeet cage that was almost 1/2 the size it should have been. My kids love it in there.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 22 2012
10:11:32 AM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts

THESE AWESOME CAGES ARE BACK IN STOCK!!!! I got 2 of these for less than the price I paid for one of mine off of EBAY! I still have one boxed up.

Coupon code: FOR10 (not sure if it still works), spend over $150 & get free S&H.... I paid a total of $233 for 2 lg. cages. Paid $260 + for just one of my others from EBAY.

http://www.thelashop.com/30x18x69-in-cockatiel-parrot-bird-cage-stand-black.html

The first 2 are the large 3 level ferret cages from EBAY...last one(black) is the lashop cage.

Default, miscellaneous
Jul 22 2012
08:48:10 PM
JeremyLexie Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit JeremyLexie's Photo Album USA 1190 Posts
The coupon code FOR10 is still good!
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 22 2012
08:56:33 PM
These all look like great cages. At the moment I cannot get something as large as the A&E corner aviary, and though the brisbane could fit, keeping the base dimension at 18x30 instead of 21x33 is ideal for right now. Right now I'm a student and must keep the cage in my room. I graduate in either Apr or Aug 2013, and can upgrade or even build my own pvc at that point.

Thank you everyone for showing me what you have. It was great to see whats out there.

Edited by - edkern on Jul 22 2012 09:04:00 PM
Pictures
Jul 22 2012
09:47:41 PM
sugarglidercutie Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit sugarglidercutie's Photo Album sugarglidercutie's Journal GA, USA 1028 Posts
I recently bought this cage

heres the link http://www.sugar-gliders.com/sturdy-cage.htm I got just the cage by itself

Edited by - sugarglidercutie on Jul 22 2012 09:50:20 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 22 2012
09:52:24 PM
sugarglidercutie Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit sugarglidercutie's Photo Album sugarglidercutie's Journal GA, USA 1028 Posts
I didn't put the stand on not yet I will later on though
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 22 2012
10:20:03 PM
theglidingcircus Glider Visit theglidingcircus's Photo Album 72 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by JazzNZoeysmom

THESE AWESOME CAGES ARE BACK IN STOCK!!!! I got 2 of these for less than the price I paid for one of mine off of EBAY! I still have one boxed up.

Coupon code: FOR10 (not sure if it still works), spend over $150 & get free S&H.... I paid a total of $233 for 2 lg. cages. Paid $260 + for just one of my others from EBAY.

http://www.thelashop.com/30x18x69-in-cockatiel-parrot-bird-cage-stand-black.html

The first 2 are the large 3 level ferret cages from EBAY...last one(black) is the lashop cage.

Holy cow that's cheap. Is the wire in the cage heavy duty? The Enay ones I find that don't name a brand aren't that sturdy. I might buy it for an extra if it's a quality cage.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 22 2012
10:26:18 PM

The left is the Ebay cage I have my trio in. The right is the new Madagascar cage that I have my duo + joey in. I LOVE the quality of the Madagascar cage HQ makes it. But I love the wideness of the Ebay cage. I wish they made the Madagascar in the same measurements of the left one I have....If anyone finds a nice heavy duty cage with quality hardware that is large, let me know.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 22 2012
10:27:26 PM
Uh, the one that is on the floor that is small, its my spare cage. Not usually in use.
What cage do you have?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What cage do you have?